A letter of employment is written by your employer (manager or HR department) to confirm the details of your employment. It is typically a requirement when you are a casual, part-time or full-time employee.
A letter of employment should be written on company letterhead and satisfy the following:
- state the start date of employment
- state the current position
- confirm part-time or full-time
- provide details of the income structure (number of guaranteed hours per week, hourly wage, etc.)
- be signed by the author with their contact information
If your company pay statement (pay stub) does not show your Year To Date (YTD) income amount, please request that this also be included in your Letter of Employment.
You can download a Sample Letter of Employment PDF for a better understanding of the typical phrasing used.